Everyone wants to feel happy. Research indicates that solid relationships, engaging ways to spend your time and prosocial behavior all contribute to happiness.
But do you really NEED these things to feel happy? If your basic human needs are met is it possible to feel happy by simply being?
Spiritual teachings stress that happiness is real only when we let go of seeking material and transient things and discover the lasting joy that is within.
1. Lighten up. Quit taking yourself so seriously. So what if you farted in your office right before your boss walked in…$h!+ happens…to everyone. Including your boss.
2. Don’t label yourself or identify yourself with something external. You are not your body, your job, even your accomplishments. You are a spiritual being having a human experience.
3. Love yourself. Be kind to yourself. Accept yourself exactly as you are. If you can’t love yourself how can you accept love from anyone else?
4. Release the past and forgive yourself. What’s done is done. It cannot be changed. Move on.
5. Feelings are for feeling, not stuffing. Don’t constipate yourself with emotions you have stuffed away. Acknowledge and accept any and all feelings you experience. Cry. Laugh. Get angry. Scream. Tremble. Be afraid. Hiding your feelings only hurts you.
6. Meditate. Meditation gives you a sense of awareness beyond the sensory experiences of the material world. Meditation allows you to consciously move your awareness from the material to the immaterial.
Did YOU connect with your inner happiness? It might take some time, but keep at it. Happiness is there…I promise.